I have been helping a friend make cultural treats for her wedding….every culture has a “hand held meat inside bread” dish. Latvains have piragi!
I arrived at her place last week and walked into a kitchen where there was flour flying in the air. I turned towards the hum of the mixer and saw that it being attended by a barefoot, long skirted blonde wearing her grandmother’s apron with amber earrings bobbing as she kept checking the dough’s stickiness….her ecstatic happiness was absolutely contagious!
We made about 100 piragi that night in what seemed like record time…..just make the dough flat, add some filling and make it into a little bun….Besides the mix of the meats, the real secret of making piragi is the social factor – she had made some on her own but said that the ones that we made together looked better.
As I have said before…I need the good things….this definitely qualifies!!
The suprise of the evening - a praying mantis!
I arrived at her place last week and walked into a kitchen where there was flour flying in the air. I turned towards the hum of the mixer and saw that it being attended by a barefoot, long skirted blonde wearing her grandmother’s apron with amber earrings bobbing as she kept checking the dough’s stickiness….her ecstatic happiness was absolutely contagious!
We made about 100 piragi that night in what seemed like record time…..just make the dough flat, add some filling and make it into a little bun….Besides the mix of the meats, the real secret of making piragi is the social factor – she had made some on her own but said that the ones that we made together looked better.
As I have said before…I need the good things….this definitely qualifies!!
The suprise of the evening - a praying mantis!









0 comments:
Post a Comment