Friday, December 21, 2012

Law of Averages



Horrific, shocking - what other adjectives can we use to try to describe last Friday’s school shooting incident?  Seriously, who the hell can shoot an innocent child?!?!? 

And how the heck did a week pass by so quickly?

The law of averages was against us – having gone to college in CT, many friends have settled in the state to raise their families as well as their parents still being local - of course we would know people affected.  But still a shock when I got the email early on Saturday morning that one of fellow band geeks from my years at school lost their daughter.  It created a sickening feeling since the email came from a friend whose children are in the same school and even though they were physically safe, they were affected in another way.

I know that there are people out there that want every little detail but I personally do not want or need to see a photo of a woman’s reaction to finding that her sister was killed or the sobbing parents as they leave the firehouse after finding out that their child was a victim.  I’m sure that the people involved do not need that horrible moment immortalized either.

What can we do?  Donate to the funds? Pray for the families? Write blog posts?  Make grandiose statements on FB?  Hug more people? Buy guns? Ban guns? Debate over guns?   

Nothing changes that fact that these kids are gone.

The sun was shining so brightly in Connecticut on Saturday that I did stop a few times to bask in the glow and wondered if this was a sign from the children that were the victims of the shooting. 

The feeling of “Has life gone crazy?” that weekend was fought off by being with friends on Saturday night.  We all had some guilt at enjoying ourselves but it was great to be with them for hugs and laughs.  Sunday was kid therapy – a visit to a friend to play blocks with his son and make “froofies” (fruit smoothies).  The moment that made me lose it though was when the little one conked the dog on the head with a piece of plastic corn on the cob and then gave the dog a hug (they’re the same height) and in his sweet little voice clearly said “I’m sorry Nico, I love you”. 

May we all find peace in our own way.

0 comments: