Thursday, April 21, 2011

Killer Cupcake...

I had the rare luxury of having an entire weekend to do as I please…yes, the visual you should have is me running through a field singing “Born Free” (like Freddy, the beagle - but that's another story).

I had been way overdue for spending an entire weekend with TGP so when a certain Killer Cupcake signed up for her first bike race, it gave me a perfect opportunity to request time off from grandma duty.

Late afternoon on Saturday, in the midst of a rain storm, we went kayaking. Kinda like man vs. the elements. I was nervous but I know that the weather can not always be perfect for a paddle and I NEED the experience in rougher weather. I always feel solid in that little red boat – we have an understanding and so far it has not let me down. Plus my life jacket was modified last summer (thanks TGP!) and it is snug so I am protected. I even got all independent and carried the boat to and from the car….it’s heavy!

We paddled about 2 miles total because even though I was enjoying it, the seams on the rainjacket were seeping in water and the sweatshirt underneath got soaked. We were almost to the shore when all the swallows that had been swooping around the water clustered into a big black ball and landed on a tree on the shore……subtle sign from nature to get out of the water….the thunder and lightning part of the storm did not roll in until we got back to the house but we would have been on the water for it had we not turned back when we did!

So, onto Sunday - You only have your first race once and I was very happy that I could be there to support the Killer Cupcake! We were able to provide not only moral support but an experienced pit crew of one (TGP) that has encountered most every issue on and off of a race course.

I channeled my inner punk/rocker/I-get-to-wear-skulls-and-bright-pink persona and spent the day taking it all in. Lots of fun even though there was a bunch of bike stuff that I did not comprehend. And I had a first – I spotted a Bald Eagle. Had no idea what I was looking at until I pointed it out to TGP. (have to work on my bird ID skills). Just incredible to see it soar through the sky and it definitely tugged on my patriotic heart strings that this majestic board symbolizes our country. (I may not be happy with the stuff going on in the country but I am proud to be a citizen of this country).

Afterwards, with TGP representing the testosterone (polar opposite of last weekend where I was the only girl), we went to a friend’s restaurant and had some fantastic pulled pork sandwiches. (There are too many to choose from, so insert your own meat joke here)

Definitely worth the drive and definitely a great feeling to have an entire weekend to do with as I chose!

1 comments:

Chele76 said...

and I was very very very very very happy to have you as a part. meant a lot to me :)

BTW my cpatcha is "sting" - can we say tantric? lol