I dragged TGP up to a family friend’s property on Memorial Day weekend. He bought the property about 25 years ago and has developed it over the years into a wonderful retreat. The property was bare and the first thing he added was an outhouse and 200 pine saplings. It now has a pond, garage, two story house, indoor plumbing and is shielded form the road thanks to the pine trees!
We took the scenic route and enjoyed a two hour ride with a great view and tons of people camping along the banks of the Delaware. After introductions, we were handed an adult beverage and told to relax. Unpack the car? Nah!!
And so began TGP’s immersion not only into Latvian culture, but the mix of Eastern European nationalities that are part of that group. Turns out that I have been remiss in teaching him certain phrases….”Kam Ir, Tas Dzer!” being the main one!! (Rough translation-If you have one, drink!)
The traditional bonfire impressed as always – complete with S’mores made by a Lithuanian Girl Scout. And once she was done feeding us, the BTU’s were dumped on the fire. There is no way that I can come up with a word to describe the sound when you pour used motor oil on a bonfire…..just wear sunglasses!
And folks, I went camping! In a tent! Outside!! It was the morning after that I realized how many spiders actually live in the grasses on the property – eek!!
TGP subscribes to the theory of “Sun Up, Me Up” - even though we all went to bed at 3 am, he was wide awake and ready to go. I resisted his efforts to wake me up until about 6:30 am but resistance was futile. So, off on a mini hike we went! The pond has some raccoon size bullfrogs….well, they sound raccoon sized – the largest we found was the size of a softball.
We had a second hike after the rest of the household woke up and we found out that the same pond has raccoon size snapping turtles!! (seriously, they were freakin’ huge!!) Our 8 year old tour guide/my “make a flower out of pipe cleaners” teacher also led us down to the creek. The water was so crisp and refreshing! So, when the opportunity arose to go tubing, I took it. (TGP stayed and napped in his hammock) We floated down the river ….no paddling skill needed…..no real effort involved….just me, my tube and my adult beverage staying cool at my side in the water….a nice lazy two hours to clear my mind and do nothing….
I am getting old though….Sunday night we drove back late to avoid traffic and it ended with – shower, glass of wine, bed, clunk, zzzzz…..
Monday we hung out with M-O-M and gave her a chance to sit and do nothing. Plus TGP fixed her trunk latch in 10 seconds so she was ecstatic.
A great long weekend!!
3 years ago









2 comments:
I have a Latvian phrase that would be good to teach your TGP...
Oh dear...
Post a Comment