Thursday, October 8, 2009

Step, Together, Step, Hop....

The fact that I woke up and headed out the door at 4 am today was not lost on me - I have been known to get home after many a fun night around the same time....

But today I was headed to a hospital to be moral support for my dad. I only have two parents - have to make sure that I keep them around a while!

Despite my fears, I had to be brave - even crack some jokes - "If you see your parents, a white light and our childhood dog, you need to run the other way. Yes, run!!"

This surgery was needed to get his quality of life back.....it was long overdue but he has never had any other procedures done so it took a lot of convincing.

After a few hours, I got the call that "everything went ok" (in Latvian - talk about instant credibility!) and was able to relax and go call the troops while he was in recovery. Mom even joked that I was being "Mom for the day".

Blatantly obvious that the man was feeling no pain when I walked into his hospital room and was greeted with "Dizzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!". I was happy that he was coherant and ok and did a really good job of not crying from relief.

And we talked and talked and talked....."So what did they do with the bone they took out??", "Yeah, you need another ice pack - that male nurse was cute!" and "It's on FB and Twitter that you're ok!"

He has an intense recovery ahead of him, but his spirit is strong and he is motivated by being able to polka again....

Big thanks to my supporters - all your texts/calls/comments helped!!

2 comments:

BeeOhVee said...

Holy cow! I'm really happy to hear he's recovering and that the surgery went well.

Tom Bailey said...

I connected to your blog through another blog you have some great posts.

Your love for your parents is great to see and very positive.