Saturday, November 7, 2009

Mind Reading Church...

On my most recent trip to Florida, I attended a service at my friend’s church. This church seems to be able to read my mind and provide inspiration without getting into “Bible beating”. The sermons somehow always end up tying back to conversations that I have had while down there and are ridiculously relevant to what I have going on in my life. (even to the degree of using the statements that I have made) It’s freaky. I now plan my visits around being able to attend at least one service while down there.

On this most recent trip, I walked in and the program that they handed me said “Discover (Little Sunshine’s name)” – this was the day after I met her…….

And the sermon consisted of how we hand over the remote control of our emotions to others and let them control our reactions.

My knee jerk reaction the other day was to tweet that my feelings had been hurt and then go on about how I felt like I was being punished for having a life to take care of and that others were being rewarded for overstepping boundaries.

But I didn’t.

I stopped and thought of the remote control idea. It’s true, I can’t control what others do, but I can control how I let it affect me. (Plus someone’s unsolicited comment a few weeks ago kept my lashing out in check – it reminded me that I am doing the right thing.)

2 comments:

Chele76 said...

Something you said really rang a chord with me.

"I can’t control what others do, but I can control how I let it affect me"

I agree this is very true, but I think there needs to be a balance. Sometimes people do perform actions that overstep, or say mean things or whatever. Just because you can take a step back and control your reaction, it does not give them a right to be a creep.

It seems like people are paying less attention to their own actions these days. That's a little pet peeve of mine.

BTW I accidentally wrote 'creek' instead of 'creep'. lol I had to share that because it made me laugh so much.

Dizzy Vizzy said...

Oh, I agree - there are people out there that just don't think things through!