I had a moment last night – I was watching “The Singing Revolution”. It’s a documentary about how music was the catalyst for Estonia to gain its freedom and inspire the country. Their story mirrors the plight of Latvia and Lithuania – all three countries held song festivals to maintain the spirit of the country and keep hope alive that one day they would be free again.
Music unified the Baltics and was also used as a political resistance tool since the countries were facing cultural genocide under the USSR rule. People don’t really realize/know that when the Soviet forces invaded, they wiped out more than a quarter of the population overnight – some executed but most were shipped to Siberia.
I knew all this from the history that I was taught as a kid in Latvian School. School on Saturdays – not so much fun – I was valedictorian of my class though.
What got me was seeing the seeing the “Baltic Chain” footage – approximately 2 million people joined hands and formed a human chain across Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia as a sign of protest. It measured 373 miles. I actually got to see it!!
And then it just hit me – tears - sadness mixed with pride.
Yes, it’s a tiny obscure country, but it’s my tiny obscure country damnit!!









0 comments:
Post a Comment