OK, I’m not a tree hugging hippie, but I do recycle. It drives me nuts that my condo association does not – strike that, they do, but they only take the bottles with a 5 cents deposit (yup, I take those back myself!). Anyway, my recyclables end up going to my mom’s or my brother’s house.
At work, I am the one bringing paper to the recycling bin – it is a fundraiser for area schools – so we recycle and help schools – it’s worth the effort – it’s on the way home. And I can recycle a lot of paper from my house/junk mail. It was worth the effort of going through all my credit card info and opting for the "stop sending me pre-approved" offers - a month later there is a dramatic decrease in junk mail.
I try to find additional uses for things, I bring my bags back to the supermarket to be recycled, I use my cool (and free) totes when I go to the stores now. The best was when I got the tote at Target, the cashier put the tote in a bag……
So, in the office, I have been known to shriek "Wait, you can recycle that!", "Don't throw it away, recycle it" or "Umm, can you do me a favor, pull that out of the trash and recycle it, ok, it's really for the planet but you know what I mean - recycle!"
Today I witnessed one of my co-workers stop themselves from tossing a plastic bottle and then bring it over to the recycle area.....heh, I have made people change their behavior...maybe it's time to see how I can harness my powers and guide them in another direction.....
3 years ago









2 comments:
Yaaaay. I take soda cans and bottles back too! When you have poeple drinking as much soda as Aaron and Evan do, those babies add up. They easily drink enough to buy a box of cereal!
What kills me is that the cleaning staff does at work. We all have a garbage can for recycling and for normal trash. Yet when they come to get the trash at night, the cleaning people empty all the garbage cans into the same cart. It's a lie, all a horrible lie!
Way to go with your recycling! I recycle glass and metal containers at home and return the soda bottles (not good at recycling the cans at work though!)
At the office we have seperate bins for paper and trash, but the cleaning staff only picks up the trash. We are responsible for emptying the paper basket in the big giant shedding bins that are picked up monthly. I procrastinate with those and end up with a 50 pound basket to empty :) But I am still trying!
Post a Comment